Thursday, October 05, 2006

 

The Giant

I was at “La Belle Aurore” pub in Milan when I suddenly overheard some people say that a giant was found drowned in the Naviglio Pavese, near the crumbled guardrail of Via Imperia. For a short moment I had the impression of standing on the deck of a ship and I had to cling myself to the bar to avoid falling down while my heart was pounding as hell.

I rushed to the spot, through the city immersed in a dark night, but when I finally got there, there was nothing to see. Police kept people away, the area was closed, and some passer-bys, gave uncertain and muddled answers. A drunken one had even the gall of speaking of a shored whale.

I made long enquiries, but as it often happens in such cases, neither the newspapers, nor the TV gave the news, except for some that liked to print something about metropolitan legends, just to make fool of crackpots.

Finally, I found some very bad quality photos in a web site dedicated to the mysteries of Milan and of Lombardy.

The torso, huge and ashen white, of the giant was barely distinguishable, while the lower part of the body was not anymore. The face was horribly disfigured, eaten by rats, and the right arm sported an enormous hand that reminded me of the colossal statues of the last Roman emperors.

The web site did not say what it was apparent to the few in the world that have knowledge of these things. Notwithstanding the devastation I was looking at, I could sense that the giant’s face had always been free of wrinkles, like a small baby’s one.

Quite differently, the web site alleged that an autopsy was secretly performed by the authorities on his lamentable remains from which it resulted that the colossus had no stomach and no intestine.

Had I the strength to come out I could confirm that that was the only correct thing that was said about him.

He was an eminently spiritual creature and when I forgot to think about him, he died.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Receive e-mail alerts when this blog updates!